25 January 2006

Be Here Now

Happy birthday, Luke Baird! 3 years old (or according to him, 6 years old). Either way, where does the time go?!

Yes, where does the time go these days? Time ceases to be time, and if we didn’t have our jobs to attend to, we’d forget what day it is completely. Sleeping, reading, cooking, eating, working, gardening, visiting with friends and neighbors – we do all the same stuff we did back home, just in a different venue powered by a slightly different energy. And, best of all, we get to do it all together. The simple things are the best – waking up together, taking morning walks in the rain, sharing three meals a day as a family. We won’t fool you and say it’s easy being together ALL of the time, but we are so grateful and so happy for the dynamic we’ve created and are getting to experience. We’re learning so much about each other and our days are filled with new understandings of the world and ourselves. We’re simply learning to Be Here Now. It’s all so freaking Zen, isn’t it? We’re trying. Though, I guess the very idea of TRYING to be Zen goes against the very principle of Zen so I’ll say we’re not trying. Which reminds me of something I heard Jennifer Stone say on KPFA once, a kind of Zen one-upmanship, she called it: “I don’t know more than you don’t know.” We’re unlearning, I suppose.

No comments: