22 February 2006

O Sola Mia

Happy 15th Birthday, Roy Orion!!!

The coyotes are out tonight. I can hear them yipping across the wind to each other as they run through the nearby hills, away from the barking dogs that echo after them. Last week they were so close they had to have been running through our yard. Phoebe heard their yelps and went ballistic. This little perra brava ran down to the front door growling and baying and wanting to be let out. I don’t think she would have been as brave on the other side of the door.

Chris is currently in Colorado and it’s my and Wilder’s first week alone without him. Tonight is actually our first night truly alone. Sue has been staying with us and painting the last couple of nights, which has given us company and reassurance, but tonight I felt the need to go it alone. I must be comfortable here out in the middle of nowhere without Chris, but of course the wind and rain and coyotes have come this night to try and shake me. All of the usual sounds are a bit more personified and I’m on the alert, but all is well. And suddenly, silence. With what capriciousness the weather and my confidence comes and goes.

As I sit here and write this on our uppermost deck (sans Juanita, who has decided to vacate the premises, but with Phoebe and Calvin at my side), I am feeling strong and secure. It may only be a self-imposed illusion to settle my latent fears, but I am reassured knowing that Stan is next door, just a phone call away, with a couple of guns. For better or worse, that makes me feel all the better!

Tidbits:

Wilder is well recovered from yesterday's trauma (just a bit of a sore nose this morning). He spent a great few hours tonight playing and learning useful Spanish words like "caca" with Gordo's family while I taught my class. Add to that a good hour of "The Simpsons" in Spanish, and Wilder was in heaven.

Bargain of the day: 1 kilo each of organic green beans, big, red tomatoes, and red peppers for a total of 950 colones (that's under $2!), which I bought from two neighbor boys who were cruising our road on their dad's ATV selling his homemade, greenhouse-grown goods. I so do not miss Whole Foods.

No comments: