Today my heart pines mightily for the Bay. Maybe it’s the overcast sky, drizzly rain, and chill wind. Maybe it was listening to the Dead on KPFA yesterday. Maybe it was reading the copy of the Russian River Times my mom sent us. Maybe it was this week’s news of nude protesters at UC Berkeley. Maybe it was Wilder saying that he misses his friends. Maybe, ok just maybe, I’m just a bit homesick. That’s not to say that I haven’t felt my heartstrings tugging before now, but today especially I am feeling wistful. I imagine that the anticipation of our trip back to California next month is heightening my emotions. I can’t wait to sip coffee at The Café Mediterranean in Berkeley, to scarf down a cheese enchilada at La Tapatia in Guerneville and then take a walk in Armstrong Woods, to run around Golden Gate Park and take a stroll around the Haight, to share a few stories and drinks with our friends and family. All of this and more I look forward to. We’ll be around from March 16 through the 26. We are so looking forward to it.
Updates and Tidbits:
· Chris just returned from a quick day-trip to Play del Coco to retrieve his suitcase from the nice souls who found it at the airport. Everything is there and intact – we are so thankful. The folks who found his bag run a great dive shop at the beach (http://http://www.scuba-diving-in-costa-rica.com/). Chris plans on returning to get certified.
· Wilder has mastered the computer (can manipulate the cursor and click objects on his own) and now spends much time playing Sesame Street games online. He is indeed his father’s son. . . .And my favorite new and self-indulgent thing that Wilder says is, “You’re the best mommy in the whole world I ever seen.” I love that our children see through the layers!
· There has been no improvement in the relations between our queendom and the beecho population. I am sorry to say that the beecho genocide still continues.
· The painting in our downstairs bedroom is complete and the painting in the bathroom is a day or two away from being done. Before painting the rest of the house, we’re on to the next project – a covered patio (kiosko) replete with outdoor kitchen and bar. (When are you coming to visit?!)
· The sun decides to grace us impulsively these days and our property is currently blooming with royal-purple morning glories, neon-orange impatiens, light-pink begonias, white gardenias, blue hydrangeas, red hibiscus, and soft-peach queens of the night (my favorite, though poisonous). The hummingbirds and mariposas are very happy.
· Our jobs continue to go well, though our internet connection is still more unpredictable than the weather. I still travel two times a week to our neighbors' house a few miles toward town to teach, but hopefully soon, we'll have that capability from home. Patience, patience . . .
28 February 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks not only for keeping us in the loop, but for writing your posts so beautifully!
xoxox
Vita & Karen
you need to write a book - 2 years in arema ! cannot wait to see you 3 and have a taco party!!! lox mom :')
Post a Comment