24 September 2006
Lazy-Ass White Bitch
Sometimes you come to realize who you are by learning about others. Por ejemplo, the mother of our gardener Venicio, housekeeper Mariana, and friend Ester is about 80 years old (even her kids aren’t quite sure how old she is exactly). She’s Nicaraguan, dark, skinny, small, partially toothless, and looks younger than her supposed age. She’s been rolling her own cigarettes since she was six. She has birthed 10 children (three of whom died in infancy) and is still raising grandchildren. She is one of the matriarchs that led a family exodus from Nicaragua to Costa Rica 20-some-odd years ago on the run from the Sandinistas who had burned down their house. She now lives in a clean, simple home with dirt floors and no windows. She wakes up at 3am and does household chores until she goes to bed at 10pm. She has done the laundry by hand her entire life. She travels every year to San Jose during the winter to pick coffee – back-breaking work with long hours. She still gets everywhere on foot, sometimes walking two to three hours at a time to get to her destination. ... Learning the details of this amazing woman's life was one of those gifts of perspective that life brings. I thought I was a pretty hard worker and had really been roughing it down here out in the middle of nowhere, far away from family and friends, Target and Whole Foods, with a limited wardrobe, two jobs (one which doesn't pay), no babysitter, a sh@#$y car, and a few peeling walls … but upon fairly simple, comparative reflection, I think it’s safe to say that, in relative terms, I’m just a lazy-ass white bitch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ok, I'm going to have to challenge you on this one. Deneene, you have days, some 19 hours long too, where you work at bringing love into every room you inhabit, NEVER singling out those in the room who might be worthy of such attention--everyone gets it from you. We all have our work, and the fortunate everyones apprehend what this work might be. I know that what you do can be as difficult, heart-and-back-breaking as your dear eighty-year-old friend's work has been. So, remember that your focus is also challenging, and that you two friends are lucky to be daily-directed to make things right, in whatever way. How cool is that! I don't dismiss her hardship; I'm only thinking that she also has profound pleasure in being guided into this direction--it seems so if she begins at 3 am in a tiny house. I could be totally wrong about her, but I don't think so. In her solitary way, she imposes her own sense of order on chaos everyday, and how gratifying it is to stand and sweep the intrusions out the door. Probably now, this is more peaceful or meditative, now that soldiers aren't about to knock down the doors and carry off family, but I love her devotion to the ritual of making things right in her world--let me be just a little more like her in such dedication. Yikes! I only meant to say hello and counter your self-condemnation, but I totally see something different in the way this woman moves in her smaller sphere. I could be an overly romantic "white moron" in this regard, but anyway. . . Lose the title you assign yourself here. We all know better, baby girl.
Love to all you three,
Elizabeth D.
Post a Comment