Goatsss
As luck would have it, we may soon have not one, but three goats. Lalena’s got herself some nicely swollen tetas – I thought they were normal and that she was just well endowed, but it turns out she may be well knocked-up instead, according to Nago and Mariana. And apparently goats always carry two younguns. Who knew! At first, I was a bit concerned. I didn’t even want one goat, now we’re going to have three? And I don’t know nothing about birthing no goat babies! But, wait a minute… Twenty dollars for three goats? Now, that’s got to be the financial coup of the countryside! Plus, I guess it’ll be nice to have two more kids around. Horned, cloven-hooved kids -- but kids notheless.
Macho vs. Macha
I just vaccuumed up a spider that made a “clunk” when it entered the tube. After eyeing it near Wilder's toys and wondering what would happen if I just ignored it, I finally caught it under a piece of generic Tupperware, accidentally crushing it not quite in half and not quite enough to disable it. Eeew! Its bulk being close to that of a mouse, I opted not to crunch it further, nor to scoop it up and set it free (and maimed and angry) outside. So, I sucked it up with my tried and true beecho weapon. I felt accomplished, yet this task exemplifies the single worse thing I have to do when Chris isn’t here – be macho. Now, I don’t mind being “macha,” but I’ll fall back on traditional roles when it suits me – when it placates my fears, indulges my laziness, or saves my strength for other, more pleasing, endeavors. Here’s my experience of the difference:
Macho
Killing cockroaches, spiders, and
snakes
Shoveling shit
Taking out the trash
Going outside in the dark to close the gate
Tending to the burning pile
Replacing the propane tank
Pulling the car out of a ditch
Going to the mechanic
Macha
Catching insects, frogs & lizards
Shoveling compost
Taking out the trash
Milking the goat in the morning
Wielding a machete
Filling up the truck’s gas tank
4-wheeling
Going to the hardware store
Yes, of course, I could do all of those things under the macho list. The difference isn’t too great. But good intentions and equality for the sexes aside -- I don’t wanna. And, yet, sometimes I realize I just don’t have the choice. But until I’m faced with inevitability, I’ll let Chris do all the dirty work. Revoke my feminist license if you must.
16 August 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey guys!!! Long time no hear or see! Before you get excited about the $20 for the goats, wait till you have them for awhile. :-) We still only have the one, but he feels like we have 10. However, there is almost NOTHING cuter than baby goats...they really are a LOT of fun. Glad to hear all is well. Life's good here, too. (Although talk about the weather, central Minnesota is in a severe drought right now. Corn is having a bit of a problem.) Talk to you soon! Love you all!
Tonja B.
Post a Comment