
Deneene and I both now work from our "home offices" here at Casa Mariposa, strategically located in the middle of nowhere, Costa Rica. This office location has lots to offer for the adventurous, nature loving yet completely internet dependent lifestyle. A beautiful lake, erupting volcano, fresh ground coffee, organic fruit and veggies from the garden and EMAIL. Damn that perpetual email!
I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to live and work as I now do. Deneene is too as she continues to work for EPGY teaching remotely. It can be bittersweet though and the challenges are real. Since the start of 2006 and my new role at DriveSavers, my job responsibilities have changed quite a bit and so has my personal life. Given is the fact that we now live in rural Costa Rica, or the "campo" as the locals call it. Aside from that, work is still work, just appreciable on a whole different level.
No longer do I have a 75 minute commute twice a day starting at 5:45am and hopefully on a good day returning 10-12 hours later. Instead, I have been able to wake up everyday with Deneene & Wilder (and Idgie, Calvin and Phoebe) at my side. That is really special. I used to leave before they got up and would return a few hours before his bedtime. Now the day may still start at 5:45am or earlier, especially if Wilder calls for an early game of futbol or Quidditch in the front yard, but I can wake for that anytime!
I do however travel more now than ever before. The trips are short, usually a few days long, but nonetheless challenging. Deneene has been very accommodating with this schedule and I know it can be tough on her and Wilder. I am so lucky to have their support. The first trip away was the most difficult and each subsequent one has it's own heartaches for home. We are making due and learning to appreciate it more as we know that these jobs allow us to live this creative lifestyle.
As I write this I am bound for Richmond, VA on a 46 hour end to end round trip from home. It's a quick international adventure but an important for my work. I would prefer to be at home but before I know it, I will be, and just in time to babysit Wilder as Deneene teaches class Wednesday afternoon.
Ahhh...learning how to live and work in our Paradise. Now I've got to get back to the office...
No comments:
Post a Comment